Whether it's microblading for perfectly shaped brows or lip blushing for a more defined pout, proper aftercare is critical for making sure your permanent makeup lasts as long as possible. Here’s what you need to know!
The Importance of Aftercare: Why proper aftercare is crucial for long-lasting results.
A solid aftercare routine promotes healing, prevents infections, and maintains the vibrancy of the pigments. Skimping on quality PMU aftercare can compromise your results, so take them seriously! Need a refresher? No worries. We’re here to dive into permanent makeup aftercare basics to help you get the most out of your procedure and points your clients in the right direction.
Immediate Post-Procedure Care: Steps to take immediately.
The first few hours after the procedure are crucial for the success of your permanent makeup. Your job is simple: apply a thin layer of a product like Aquaphor or a similar aftercare product to keep the skin moist. Your job from there is letting your clients know the following:
- Hands off! Remind your clients to avoid touching the treated area to prevent introducing bacteria. They might find it tempting, but it's so important to leave the fresh PMU site alone! The only exceptions are gently dabbing lymph fluid and applying aftercare products if needed.
- Gently dab excess lymph fluid: The one exception to the hands-off rule is to gently dab excess lymph fluid that accumulates on the treated area with a tissue. This helps prevent the formation of “crusties” that can be difficult to remove later. Tell your clients they should also be sure to wash their hands before doing so and use an extremely light touch. Apply a very thin layer of an aftercare product if needed. Additionally, you can suggest applying an aftercare product three times a day for the first three days. Just tell your clients not to overdo it—a thick layer can prevent airflow and slow healing!
- Take it easy: Let your clients know they should plan to take it easy the day of their procedure to avoid sweating and sun exposure.
Cleaning and Hygiene: How to keep the treated area clean and prevent infections.
In the days and weeks after the procedure, proper cleansing and hygiene will be crucial for your clients' healing process to prevent infections and ensure the best possible outcome. Follow these guidelines for cleaning and hygiene:
- Gentle cleansing: Advise your client that they should wash the treated area with a mild, fragrance-free cleanser starting the day after the procedure. They should use this cleanser in the morning and the evening. Then, tell them to pat dry with a clean towel and follow up with a thin layer of Aquaphor or another aftercare ointment.
- Avoid harsh products and makeup: Remind your clients to stay away from products containing alcohol, retinoids, and glycolic acid, as they can irritate the skin and affect the pigmentation. They should also avoid applying makeup to the treated area for at least two weeks.
- Avoid too much water: While you do need to wash the treated skin twice per day, it’s important to avoid too much exposure to water. So tell your clients that for the first two weeks, they should try to avoid excessive sweating. Emphasize that they shouldn't submerge their face in the bath or pools. Moreover, advise them to keep their showers short, and keep your face out of the water as much as possible!
- Hands off! It’s normal for the treated area to be itchy in the first week of healing. But tell your clients to please resist the urge to scratch or pick at the scabs that may form. This can lead to scarring, infection, and patchy results.
Moisturizing and Healing: Tips for promoting healing and preventing dryness.
Preventing dryness and being gentle both help promote optimal healing, but it is possible to over-moisturize. Here's what you need to do to strike that perfect balance and protect your skin:
- Use recommended products: Stick to trusted, high-quality brands which you can find on our site, and recommend them to your clients. Avoid products that contain fragrance or other ingredients that could be irritating like retinols and exfoliants.
- Don’t overapply: It’s worth repeating! Your clients should only apply aftercare ointments in very thin layers. Thick application can slow healing by preventing proper airflow. The product should feel barely noticeable, just enough to help alleviate feelings of dryness, tightness, and itching.
- Regular application: While you don’t want to overapply thick layers of aftercare ointments, you do want to apply them regularly. For the first few days, think at least three times a day. After that, advise your clients to apply after morning and evening cleansings and anytime the feelings of dryness or tightness become bothersome.
- Stay hydrated: Keeping your entire body hydrated will help keep your skin hydrated too!
- Be gentle: Avoid sleeping on the treated area or brushing against it with clothes.
Long-Term Maintenance: How to care for your permanent makeup to ensure its longevity.
Once the healing phase is complete, your clients can maintain their permanent makeup's longevity with these tips for long-term maintenance:
- Sun protection: Sun exposure can cause fading over time, so make sure clients are shielding their PMU from the sun by using sunscreen daily. On days of high sun exposure, tell them to consider wearing a hat for some extra shade.
- Go back for your touch-ups: Most procedures will need a touch-up somewhere between 4-6 weeks after your first treatment. The touch-up can help fill in any patchy areas or deepen the color of your treatment. Schedule your clients for revisits and touch-ups every 2-3 years to maintain results.
Aftercare is everything when it comes to achieving and maintaining the results you want from your permanent makeup! Remind your clients to trust the process and avoid picking and scratching (even when it’s so tempting!). Emphasize the importance of keeping their PMU clean and moisturized, protecting it from irritants during the healing process. With a little effort, clients (and you!) can enjoy stunning PMU results and keep your brows, eyeliner, or lip blushing looking great for years to come!
We have an excellent selection of aftercare products like gentle cleansers, moisturizers, and ointments. Buy single bottles for personal use, or buy in bulk to stock your studio! Either way, you’ll be getting great prices on great aftercare products trusted by PMU artists everywhere!